The USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope is arguably one of the most preferred means of shipping items with USPS. In addition to shipping packages at a predetermined low price, customers enjoy Priority Mail’s quick shipping time of 1-3 business days. We’ll show you how to benefit from this unbelievable offer subsequently. Let’s get to it!
Usps Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope
Shipping with the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope comes with a range of benefits that may be unavailable with other mail services provided by the shipping company.
These envelopes come in various shapes and sizes, offering customers flexibility of options depending on the size of the item they wish to ship.
The USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes are used for documents and items that weigh 70 lbs and less. Mailing with this service comes with free pickup and USPS tracking.
Furthermore, they are used to ship packages to domestic locations as applicable to the Priority Mail class. USPS Priority Mail Flat Envelopes shipping also includes up to $100 insurance.
- How to Schedule USPS Pickup Online?
- How Does USPS Track Package Internationally?
- How to Monitor Your US Postal Service Tracking?
- USPS First Class Package: Fast Delivery Guaranteed
How does USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope Work?
Several factors are considered when shipping items with the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes as well as certain requirements that need to be met.
Major factors to keep in mind while preparing a package for shipping with Flat Rate envelopes are the weight and size of the package as there is a limit to what size of items can fit into them.
We’ll discuss them in the subsequent subsections.
What are the Weight, Shape, and Size Requirements?
1. There is a fixed price for envelopes containing documents and items that weigh 70 lbs and less going to any destination in the U.S.
2. The container flaps on a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope must be able to close within its normal folds when sealing a mailpiece in it. This is also applicable to Flat Rate boxes.
3. The total combined girth (the distance around the thickest parts) and length of the envelope must not exceed the 108 inches limit.
For packages that slightly exceed the acceptable size and weight limit for Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes, extra charges may apply. They are as follows:
1. Dimensional (DIM) weight prices apply to packages that have a greater DIM weight than the actual package weight. The dimensional weight (in pounds) is calculated as length x height x width, divided by 166.
2. Customers that give inaccurate dimensions or/and DIM weight (when applicable) are made to a dimension-noncompliance fee.
3. A non-standard fee is applicable for packages that measure more than 30 inches in length ($15.00), between 22 and 30 inches long ($4.00), and more than 2 cubic feet ($25.00).
What Are The Features and Pricing of USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes?
As mentioned earlier, packages shipped with USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes are covered by all the features and benefits applicable to traditional Priority Mail packages.
Below are specific features and pricing information about this shipping package:
1. It has the fastest delivery time of one to three business days
2. Pickup services for the envelopes are done without extra charges
3. Has insurance and USPS tracking for domestic locations in the USPS
4. No extra charges for fuel for residential, rural, or weekend deliveries
5. Prepaid pricing (only available to retail shipping)and predetermined flat rates
6. USPS label delivery service is available for customers who do not have access to a printer at an extra fee of $1.25 per label.
What USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Products are Available?
There is a range of products available on the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope mailing option. They vary with the allowed dimensions and pricing.
They also have a wide range of applications that customers can consider depending on the size of the package as well as the customer’s specific needs and budget. Below are their descriptions:
USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope
- Shipping price: $8.05 (commercial pricing) and $9.65 (at the post office)
- Dimensions: 12 ½ inches by 9 ½ inches
- Best for: Manuscripts, documents, passports, and passport applications
Window Flat Rate Envelope
- Shipping Price: $8.05 (commercial pricing) and $9.65 (at the post office)
- Dimensions: 10 inches by 5 inches and 12 ½ inches by 9 ½ inches
- Best For: Pre-addressed envelopes
Small Flat Rate Envelope
- Shipping Price: $8.05 (Commercial Pricing) and $9.65 (at Post Office)
- Dimensions: 10 inches by 6 inches
- Best For: Oversized greeting cards, small documents, and gift cards
Padded Flat Rate Envelope
- Shipping Price: $8.05 (commercial pricing) and $10.40 (at Post Office)
- Dimensions: 12 ½ inches by 9 ½ inches
- Best For: Books, clothing, and jewelry
Legal Flat Rate Envelope
Shipping Price: $8.35 (commercial pricing) and $9.95 (at Post Office)
Dimensions: 15 inches by 9 ½ inches
Best For: Legal documents
- USPS Parcel Select Ground: Cost, Sizes, and How it Works
- USPS Delivery Time Calculator: Estimating Shipping Hours
- USPS First Class vs Priority: Features and Benefits
- What is USPS Media Mail Services?
Unlike the conventional shipping services where customers get to pay for mail pieces based on the destination, weight, and size of the package, USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope allows you to ship items at a flat rate.
Note that the dimensions we listed based on the different envelope types are only valid when the flaps on the envelopes are closed. As such, only measure the dimensions of your envelope when the flaps have been sealed.
Aside from the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes, the company also offers flat rate boxes that are quite similar in operation to the envelopes.
As mentioned earlier, if you do not have access to a printer, you can pay an extra fee of $1.25 for the USPS label delivery service to send a copy of your shipping label to you.
Additionally, all items shipped via USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes are eligible for tracking and insurance of up to $100.